Monday, March 1, 2010

HW 42

Part B
The main topic I would like to focus on during the unit of school is the financial aspects of education. In our society wisdom seems to be obtained through money, or at least the wisdom society wants us to have. In order to get top class education, we must pay. Whether its an Ivy League College or a private/independent high school, money talks. Though nothing can be done to change how schools work, I would like to dig deeper into the quality of the life rich private school kids live opposed to the middle class public school kids. The significant differences in the lives of students who rely heavily on money and the ones who rely on determination and willingness.

One reason why this question strikes me as significant is my life in elementary school. I used to go to PS6 on the upper east side, where everyone's parents made probably twice or three times more money than my parents. I didn't really realize this until I went to middle school, but the transition between PS6 and SOF was so mind blowing that I had a hard time easing into the environment. Coping with my old friends seem much harder than it used to be. Where they excessively use money like it grows on trees, I try to conserve as much as possible. Not only financial differences but the way they act, the way they live are obviously distant from me.
I find the social qualities in students to differ from private school to public which obviously means a difference in quality of life. Though they may be richer it does not always mean they are happier. I would like to find the sacrifices they have to make, the hardships and limitation they have to withstand. Or it may be possible that they don't face any hardships, who knows? Not necessarily to state which type of school is better, but to compare and contrast the lifestyles. To understand the pros and cons of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment