Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hw #6 Video Post


Amon
Originally uploaded by Stoner3000

Like most people, I don't feel completely comfortable watching myself for a straight 2 minutes. Though many aspects of my actions are surprisingly entertaining and humorous. My overall focus on texting and surfing the web seems insubstantial. My ability to redirect my focus on things happening around me makes me sigh in relief. Though I am most definitely pro-digital, I have not yet become too reliant on technology as a source of entertainment. Being able to observe your surroundings while you spend time in a digital world illustrates that I still value reality over the computer screen in front of me. 

I dont find computer based activities to be a very effective way to live your life. On the other hand I still find living the digital lifestyle to have a significant connection with the real world. Though we may say playing videogames or watching youtube videos on our spare time to be wasting precious moments of our lives, what we do and how we react to the digital life has a great impact on our daily lives in the real world. 

I honestly would not mind my future son/daughter to be spending time on a computer. Though moderation is a completely different story. Finding a balance between the two can be very difficult for some people. While others may find one aspect of the digital life to be appealing, the rest of us may find it to be quite disturbing or bland. 

What I noticed most about my video are the lack of emotions. I wasn't viewing anything interesting enough to grasp my full attention, but I think a majority of my reactions were happening mentally and not being portrayed physically. As I see myself conversing with who I believe was Abe, I show more expressions than I do during the rest of the time either starring at the computer screen or texting. 

I think video-games are healthy until you are stuck at home by yourself. Its a very entertaining way to socialize with others, it can become topics discussed between individual's in the real world. I personally find the Wii to be a very confusing piece of technology. It can be used to the extent of physically moving your body according to the game system, or just simple waving your arm around. Depending on what the player wants to achieve throughout his/her experience it can be harmful or healthy. 

2 comments:

  1. Amon, we had to answer questions to go along with our videos. I like that you can hear the clicking of the mouse, but other than that I don't really feel like you are using technology in the video. I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alrighty. Amon, I like how I can hear the clicking of the mouse while you are using the computer. I can see you looking around, listening to and watching what people are doing in the computer lab. I appreciate how you said "though I am most definitely pro-digital, I have not yet become too reliant on technology as a source of entertainment". There are so many kids that are way too reliant on technology, and it seems sort of pathetic to me.

    I thought it was really interesting how you said that though you we not acting outwardly, you were reacting mentally. That's a really interesting concept. I feel that way sometimes, from the outside it may seem like I am emotionless, yet I could be in pain, or really happy on the inside. I remember when we went to six flags I got dragged on a lot of roller coasters, and while my friends were all screaming I was too scared to even do that.

    It is interesting how you and Steph said that you both would not mind if your daughter, son, sister.. if they were spending all their time on the computer. While when I interveiwed some kids that said they spent ten hours of the day in digital life, I felt like that was too time consuming. I personally would not want my kids or little brother spending all that time on digital life. Even though my little brother already is a city kid obsessed with his electronics.

    Keep up with the good work, and try to be on time in the future.

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete