Monday, October 19, 2009

FEED B

I interpret M.T Anderson's FEED as a form of revolutionary art that portrays specific flaws that our generation and following generations will begin to encounter. The allegory used to portray the author's perspective on teenagers and what we soon will become illustrates a vital point in the fall of humanity, where we become less human and more machine. The tragedies that are revealed to the reader halts us from overlooking the deep connection we see between the Feed world and our world. 

I also found the form of language used in the book intentionally mocks teenagers, possibly to create an aspect of the book that can alert young readers to navigate themselves deeper into the book to find the true conflicts and messages the author is trying to communicate to us. The conflict being the side effects of the digital lifestyle, the young adults of that generation are the primary target. He gives us examples of tragedies but never tells us how they are perfectly stabilized and resolved, as if we are expected to do something about our own lives to lead into a future where we are not overpowered by machines. 

Regarding Bret Bercht's quote "Art is not a mirror with which to reflect the world. It is a hammer which to shape it". Art is a form of revolt and rebellion that is brought out through images. Although it can be used as a mirror for the world to see its true self while under sever situations, but it can also be used to send messages and emotions towards the world. I find Feed to be both a hammer and a mirror. It shows an image of what we are starting to become, the inevitable outcomes that we try to blind ourselves from by being captured within the moment. It reveals ourselves to the facts that we deny. I believe we are the hammers that sculpt the world for the better or worse, we just use the book as a mirror to realize our flaws. 

1 comment:

  1. I read both of your feed posts as well as the research that you did, and I'm going to comment on them as a whole here. Overall, I appreciate the tone of your writing. It is always very sophisticated, and interesting. I appreciate that I can relate to what you say in your posts. I also like that you pointed out that we don't really talk like M.T. Anderson's teenagers, which I also said in my post.

    One of the arguments that you said is that Feed is both a mirror and a hammer. " I believe we are the hammers that sculpt the world for the better or worse, we just use the book as a mirror to realize our flaws." I have not heard this stated how you did before, and I appreciate it. It's sort of how Kevin said life is like a hammer to shape you, then you go home and look in the mirror.

    Your work has been good so far, so just feel like you need to write about the second text. I look forward to reading it when you do.

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete